9/11/2006

how my day just got better

I return from Emmaus family books, holding my new copy of Chris Tomlin's album Arriving (this is the guy who brought us the wonderful "Indescribable," "Holy is the Lord," and "How Great is our God;" the first three songs on this album.

And what do I find, but two bulky packages addressed to me- textbooks! (Yes, getting textbooks for school excites me; I am a grade-A nerd).

First we have Poetic Meter & Poetic Form by Paul Fussell, the unfortunately out of print standard work on the subject. The Trent bookstore is charging $65 for this little paperback of under 200 pages. I got it for about $20 after shipping... and it's not in the best condition (yellowed pages, piece missing from the cover) but hey, it saved me $45.

Next we have one of the greatest books ever published, also out of print, the wonderful Nightwatch: New and Selected Poems 1968-1996 by my favourite Canadian poet Dennis Lee. This book is pretty much definitive, containing all his long poems (including Civil Elegies and Riffs) and all his best short poems.

Great books and great music make Noah a happy boy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

textbooks make me die inside

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home