12/07/2006

...and the aftermath

Now I had no intention of ever getting Norma Jean's new record Redeemer for a couple reasons. First of all, I am "OG" Norma Jean... I got in at ground level buying Bless the Martyr... the day it was released, and I love that album... and I really love Josh Scogin.

When O' God the Aftermath came out I was disappointed. Cory's vocals weren't nearly as good as Josh's and the "sloppy goodness" of the past album was dropped for a slick sheen. The album sounded like a bad Botch rip-off. It's grown on me, but still, not nearly as good as the old stuff.

Secondly, every review of Redeemer says it sucks. Every one.

So I get it for free. "Secret Santa" at work. Nice. Worth a listen right? Every person who has reviewed this album is on crack. This freaking owns! More diversity than the last record, vocals 10 times better, music tighter, better lyrics. And sloppy goodness too! The album is short, 41 minutes, but it definitely works in its favor, leaving me wanting to just throw it on repeat...

Seriously, on first listen this has me more pumped than even Bless the Martyr. Whether or not it'll live up to that in the long term is undecided, but right now, damn I'm happy!

Get this album!

(Thanks Cassie, you're the best "Secret Santa" ever!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

I told you it was good.

But you never listen to me.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home