4/19/2006

death God coffee poetry & other stuff

death

I almost died yesterday. Seriously.

I was walking down the street wondering what it would be like to get hit by a car (yes, morbid, I know), and I got to an intersection and waited for the little man to flash.

Cue: little man. Blinks.
Noah steps into intersection.
Enter stage left: Speeding, red light running car.

So this car speeds past two inches from my body going at least 70km/h. Two inches.

Two more inches and I would have been over the car's windshield and my head smashed on the ground. Let me tell you. I repented.

Dear God. I am sorry that I did not pray or read my bible this morning. And I'm sorry that I drank one too many beers at Easter dinner. And that I did not thank you for the food. Amen.

So why didn't I die?
Yeah, that's right. Why not? I was close enough to the car. There's lots of amazing people who are much nicer than me who die in terrible ways every day.

So why am I alive? I was close enough to the car that God is saying something.

Jesus, why did you spare me?

God

If I have learned anything this year it has been vicarious. I have not been a good student. I have only had good teachers. So why don't I pray? Why don't I love Jesus? I think I love Jesus, but I don't show him.

(And now for something completely different)

coffee

Natalie and I went out for coffee at Starbucks today. She put up with me drooling at the poetry section. Then I read Foxtrot while she drooled over the knitting section.

I bought an Americano and a low-fat blueberry muffin. I bought her a frappucino.
Then she bought tea, and bought me a frappucino.
It was quite funny really.

Natalie is a wonderful friend and a wonderful person. She enriches my life (and the lives of many others). I can see Jesus in Natalie.

poetry

I went to the library today to pick up the book I had on hold.... and what a book! Nightwatch: New and Selected Poems 1967-1996 by Dennis Lee. He is my favourite poet. This book contains all his best pre-un poems. It's awesome. I would like to buy it but it is hard to find. Hopefully I'll find it in Toronto when I go there next Wednesday.

other stuff

That is all I've been thinking lately. By the way, I wrote a post on speaking in tongues a while ago... I don't know how many people actually read it. Please do, let me know what you think. Steve and David, I will respond to your comments, eventually. I may just end up e-mailing you guys, but we'll see what happens.

Bye.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Noah,
So I just caught up with your blog -- way to write a ton of stuff recently haha

I hope that you never wonder about being hit by a car again - it ruins the lives of everyone around you, and things will never be the same again. I'm really glad that you weren't hit by a car...

Now that the lecture is over... thanks for posting that "best" and "worst" things about your life in the past year... I'm going to do the same on my journal!

In the meantime, we should hang out haha I have a SWEET new apartment on Dublin and you should come check it out sometime!!

Heather xox

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home