4/27/2007

moving and ESV-zing

Today was pretty sweet... with a little help from Jer and Todders we moved Rachel into her new apartment... It's on Aylmer and Charlotte. Yes, that's like ten minutes from my place. SWEET! Misty will also be livin' there next school year. Jer, Rach and I also had supper together at McThirsty's Pint and had a round of pints too, which was a great way to end our moving day bonanza.

Hung out with Rach all night... it's super fun being able to walk her home! Joyous!

The other day I ordered an ESV "journaling" bible from Emmaus. Pretty much it is a regular ESV but with some cool journal like features, like two inches pf margin with ruled lines, cream coloured paper for ease of reading, reading plans and a salvation plan (useful in preaching). I'm excited about having a bible with the purpose of writing in it, as this will enhance my experience with the text, making the study more profitable. The end result is a make-yer-own study bible filled with personal study notes and references. I will be putting this to much use in my Ecclesiological studies. In keeping with tradition, I'll give my current pocket ESV to Rachel so we can study from the same (great) translation. (I gave the previous one to Steve after getting my pocket one).

Speaking of the ESV, I recommend checkin' it out if you haven't already, I have linked to it on the right column. Hopefully it will live up to its name. It combines literal word renderings with readability. That is, it allows readers to judge the context of the original Greek and Hebrew words without being confused by the terrible English grammar that plagues other literal translations. Much love is due to the NASB, but the constant, purposeful grammatical mistakes drive this English student bonkers. I can't deal with it... I find myself correcting its grammar instead of studying its message! So the ESV helps this, Greek/Hebrew style and phrasing, English grammar. Great concept!

So yeah, check it out. The complete text is available at that website, and they also have a store (or you can get the ESV at Emmaus). The basic trade edition is available uber cheap, $3.99! But I would recommend a higher quality edition because it is truly suitable to become your main bible for all your needs. How's that for advertising?! lol, I just really like it!

Thanks again Jer and Todd for helpin' out, many hands make light labour, and Todd, too bad you couldn't do dinner with us but I'm sure there will be other opportunities, preferably with your wife too!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

It was indeed a good day. Alexander Keith gets my stamp of approval for making good ale.

10:14 PM  
Blogger valerie salerie said...

reading about your day makes me miss you guys in Ptbo! sounds like a great day to start summer.

hmm.. i didn't know about the ESV translation, nor that i could buy Bibles for less than five bucks! i can definitely see what you mean about better interaction with the text if there are margins specifically to write in.. this coming from the girls who chronically dog-ears and pencil-notes her novels :P

3:10 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

oh, there will be more times!!! Hurrah for ESV, and in particular, for God speaking to human beings through words!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home