3/02/2005

How to make friends and influence people

So that last post got some response... I guess the way to get comments is to post inflammatory stuff. Hmmm... well, nothing crazy for you today.

I am in love with the band twothirtyeight. I bought their album "You Should Be Living" thinking it was on the HM top 50 albums of the nineties... turns out it wasn't, and the pic I remember seeing of it was an advertisement. So there you go: advertizing works. But any way, the album is super cool jazzy emo rock, with lots of fun guitar lines, weird chord progressions and thought provoking lyrics.

I wouldn't call it a "concept" album, but there seems to be a theme of disillusionment with society running throughout the album. There are three songs that repeat the line "that sad and holy glow," at the beginning, middle, and end of the record. That line itself sums the album up: Our society is full of "sad" and "glowing" objects, that we often treat as "holy" though they leave us empty. (Such as TV, stereos, computers, whatever.)

The album is highly emotional and thought provoking and I couldn't recommend it more. The band is now broken up, but lead singer Chris Staples is now a member of Discover America. Check them out too.

Anyway, time to continue my essay.

3 Comments:

Blogger .letting go said...

everyone puts off essays it seems

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

238 rocks. I <3 them.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hurray for 238

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home