6/23/2005

On a Wire

Listening to: Johnny Cash- Bird on a Wire (Live with an Orchestra) I just got the Unearthed boxed set today. Five discs of Cash goodness. Oh the joyous old school country.

When I was a kid my grandparents had a cottage in North Ontario... north enough that in the summer it dropped into the negatives at night. My parents and I had a 1990 special edition Ford Mustang. I would sit in the back as we drove the two or so hours to get there, listening to my dad's blaring old school country cds. Willie Nelson, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and yes... Johnny Cash. I think those car trips had more of an influence on me than I realize at times.

Having conversations with God are interesting. Usually its him telling me I'm going to do something, me protesting, then him putting an insatiable desire in my heart for doing that thing he told me to do. Who's in control of my life? Hmm...

I got two scholarships for $1000.00 each this week, including the "Tim Horton's Community Leadership" scholarship. It's about freaking time Timmy's gave me some money for free... Anyway, that's 1/3 of next years tuition. Joy.

I've been reading the epistle of Hebrews, and from the first chapter alone I just can't understand how the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons deny the deity of Christ. Is Hebrews not in their bibles? Do they even read their bibles? We need to pray for those that are so close to the truth, yet so misguided...

The previous post is a sermon I wrote for a bible study I'll be leading in two weeks. Feel free to leave comments, criticism and editing for me. Seriously it is appreciated. (I'm specifically directing this at Jerry Bolton and Steve Bremner, but all are welcome to pick me apart.)

Hey Amber. Listen to some country. Johnny Cash is a friend of mine, is he a friend of yours?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

It's simple Noah... they don't use The Bible as we know it.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Stevie B said...

Noah.
I'm honored to be invited to give input on the last post.
I can't think of anything wrong. I just had to get use to difference in semantics, otherwise, it seems good to go.

If you have any insight one way or another, I'd love to hear whatever input you have on 'theophostics' (inner healing). If you have never heard of it, then don't worry about it.My e-mail is steve.bremner@gmail.com

Otherwise, keep up the interesing reading. And may the rest of your finances for school come in in ways that blow your mind.

Blessings

Steve

6:48 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

No Noah, he's not....it pains me. We now get CMT at work. The horror the horror and all other terrible pain filled clichés. We never talk!! Fix it.

9:28 AM  
Blogger .letting go said...

I mulled your last post over for awhile, these are some questions I have... (please don't fire me out of a canon)

- throughout the sermon (especially in the intro), you emphasize that the bible is a book, written words... Is that really it? Jesus would not have encountered the scriptures in book format, neither would illiterates, nor would many persecuted christians today without the same incredible access to the scriptures in book format as I do. The scriptures reached the masses in an oral tradition for centuries, with rare and treasured written copies kept... have those who have never READ the bible (as opposed to hearing it) missed the power of scripture because it hasn't come in book format?

- Catholics are not the only Christians guilty of using extra-biblical teachings, the sermon does come down hard on them. It is easy to point the finger at the Catholic church, the harder thing is to look at your our home church, the broader protestant church even, and maybe try to loosen our own plank a little.

- I don't get how the apostles teaching would be to 'uphold the bible, and only the bible' maybe I'd just be happier if you swapped it for the word 'scriptures'. The bible as we know it did not exist during the apostles time, thus pauls exhortation to Timothy wouldn't have the same spin on it then as it has for modern readers.

- the last thing I'm wondering is this, is the adversarial tone of this sermon intentional? I know that you shoot straight, that is good, you don't walk on eggshells. But the whole sermon is quite heavyhanded. Who is your audience? Will they understand the intent of your hard hitting style? Would a gentler style be more effective in communicating the truth that you want to?

Whew. Alright Noah. You of all people know that when you seem to live in black and white, I paint in greys. So if you think I'm out to lunch on this stuff, that's okay with me, it won't hurt my feelings. Similarly, please don't misunderstand my intent here, I'd never pick you apart just to make you cry, I just know you like to think good and hard about stuff, and to be challenged. Let me know what you think.

With all my love.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home