10/31/2005

The Cure for pain is in the pain

So its there that you'll find me.

I've been listening to The Cure a lot lately. I got into them because Stavesacre covered their song Fascination Street and I dug it a lot. Listening to it now I've noticed the song is pretty disturbing with a lot of (what can be seen as) sexual references. Anyway, I like to look at the the song as a discussion of what the sinful nature says to the Spirit. Rape is probably the best analogy for that. Also, the title "Fascination Street" may imply prostitution, which could be a valid reading of the lyrics. Anyway, the song certainly doesn't seem to be promoting promiscuous sex or prostitution as much as it is just talking about them.

Anyway, their song A Letter to Elise is one of the most cathartic songs ever.

Thanks Amber and Josh. Wise people.

My life has kind of spun out of emotional control recently and I seem to be swinging from wanting to cry bitterly and wanting to break things within seconds. But I tend to overreact to everything so it will be okay.

So if I've been a bit short with you I apologize, I will strive to not let the devil steal my joy.

And I guess that's what this is all about isn't it? God wants us to be joyful and to be comforted in our times of struggle and the devil wants us to focus on the crappy things so we feel like garbage.

Let us not forget the God we serve...

1Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.
2Speak tenderly to Jerusalem,
and cry to her
that her warfare is ended,
that her iniquity is pardoned,
that she has received from the LORD's hand
double for all her sins.


3A voice cries:
"In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD;
make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4Every valley shall be lifted up,
and every mountain and hill be made low;
the uneven ground shall become level,
and the rough places a plain.
5And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed,
and all flesh shall see it together,
for the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

6A voice says, "Cry!"
And I said, "What shall I cry?"
All flesh is grass,
and all its beauty is like the flower of the field.
7The grass withers, the flower fades
when the breath of the LORD blows on it;
surely the people are grass.
8The grass withers, the flower fades,
but the word of our God will stand forever.

9Get you up to a high mountain,
O Zion, herald of good news;
lift up your voice with strength,
O Jerusalem, herald of good news;
lift it up, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah,
"Behold your God!"

(Isaiah 40:1-9, ESV)

Keeping in mind that "Jerusalem" and "The Sons of Judah" are euphemisms for the people of God. Us.

Behold our God indeed.


2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

coffee calleth.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Eat lots of chocolate and get fat. That way you'll have other problems to worry about! JK. I'll catch you tomorrow.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home