10/23/2005

Talks of Wycliffe

Today I got together with Roy Tibbet, who is a retired missionary and part of Wycliffe Bible Translators.

We talked about a lot of things, from his history as a missionary to marriage and our shared love of poetry (turns out he's a fan of Eliot too!)

I could probably mention a lot of things, but there was one main point that stood out for me (other than the fact that Roy's close friends include Ravi Zacharias and the late Eugene Nada) and that was when we were discussing marriage.

He asked "what kind of girl do you want to marry?"

And I said, "Someone who has the same passions as me. Someone that is passionate about theology, missions and reaching people. Someone who won't get bored of me talking about passive imperatives... because I like talking about passive imperatives... and hopefully someone who likes the same lesser things as me, such as music and poetry." (Insert brief tangent about T. S. Eliot here).

He responded with a very wise comment... something that I already know, but took me almost 22 years to figure out but he had it pegged within an hour of meeting me.

"You'll have to find someone who's less intense than you. Your intensity is your greatest strength and your greatest weakness."

Wow. I love old wise Christians (and I say "old" reverently).

Anyway, I now have a bunch of great info in CanIL, including a dvd I'll have to watch soon.

Today the message that I gave in the "kids' story" was the same theme as Pastor Norm's sermon, and we didn't know beforehand what eadh other was speaking about. I can't count how many people said "Good planning" to me. Ah, but I didn't make the plan! Praise God for his providence.

I am feeling a deeper commitment to the Lord recently. I just need to make sure the becomes feeling becomes knowledge and action.

Onward.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

"You'll have to find someone who's less intense than you. Your intensity is your greatest strength and your greatest weakness."

I've told you this before a few times, though in different terms and obviously with less weight than someone like Roy.

9:53 PM  
Blogger shine.is.dead said...

Lots of people have told me. Having someone with his knowledge and experience tell me after knowing for one hour was the crazy part.

(The things you say have much weight in my life).

5:39 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

of course you need someone less intense than you.....mostly because there isn't anyone out there quite as intense! JK Noah. I'll be back in town Thursday-give me a shout.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

I'm swinging for ya brother. Keep that revival of the heart happening!
ps. i love OE!
seeya soon

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home