10/03/2005

...to burn your bridges by.

If there has ever been a time in my Christian life when I have been the closest to giving up on God, church, and all of that, it was this weekend.

It wasn't for any specific reason. Over the past eight months I have acquired a surplus of doubt, bitterness, and anger, with a deficit of prayer and bible study. I put this in economic terms because it is only appropriate. More time with God = joy and conviction, less time with God =rampant sin and despair. Self-inflicted, of course.

I didn't tell many people about this... out of shame, etc. But it got to the point that I couldn't hide my doubts and anger any more and those closest to me began to notice me changing... becoming less Christ-like, and doing so at a somewhat alarming rate.

On Friday night I was about ready to pack it all in, and completely give up on God and my faith, and I think I did, for about a day. I had an interesting discussion with Kim, who brought it to my attention that everyone knew something was up.

On Saturday I had coffee with Caroline, and she pretty much made me realize I was being an idiot... on the walk home I ran into a boy from the Bridge who informed me that his girlfriend was now pregnant.

I can be such a God-damned selfish ass.

I think I'm doing better now. I prayed today and read three chapters from Job. That shouldn't be something special but considering I haven't read my bible or prayed in about a month I think that's a good start.

Aaron Holbrough preached at Church in the Caf on Sunday, and though I doubt it was his intention, he certainly convicted me of my problem.

Off with your head
We'll take it all back and then some
Never again... Off with your head
We'll cut out all that's a hindrance

Bleed the old man-
Andrew Schwab

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all get discouraged and I saw that something was up at church in the caf and I hardly even know you. I am praying for you that you will draw closer to God in your walk with Him. Never give up on him Shine. He loves you and wants you to truly shine for him and sometimes we feel discouraged and left out and so we look inside ourselves instead of at God. I am remaining anonymous.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

It's funny how our lives mirror each other from time to time.

'...and the rest will follow' is doing its work on me...

9:50 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I think a lot of us got a bit lost this summer.....myself included....I've been trying to find my way back. Maybe we can help each other. With my crazy work hours I couldn't go to church....and it all followed suit from there....maybe...no...that IS all an excuse though. Nothing should keep me from Him.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

Glad your back! Remember Noah, you are vital to the church. I'm gonna go talk to you now, your sitting in the OC caf. DPS rules!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home