2/16/2006

twenty

So, Megs did the whole "five books that changed my life," so I'll do twenty albums that changed my life. (Narrowing this down would be too painful... so 20 it is!)

1. Green Day- Insomniac, age 12:

Though I don't listen to them now, this was the first album I ever bought with my own money. "Geek Stink Breath" is one of the best videos ever.

2. Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie & the Infinite Saddness, age 13:

Defined my musical tastes for a long time. Got me into "epic" songs... so Jerry's theory that I don't like songs unless they're 8+ minutes goes back to here.

3. The Beatles- Revolver, age 14:

Woah.... um... wow.

4. Radiohead- Ok Computer, age 14:

I bought this on the day it came out, so take that you art-rock hipsters!

4. Pink Floyd- The Wall, 15:

Art rock is awesome. First "questionable" and "edgy" album I bought.

6. Metallica- Self-titled ("The Black Album"), age 15:

The love affair with metal starts here.

7. Matthew Good Band- Beautiful Midnight, age 16:

My biggest lyrical influence

8. Anthrax- Volume 8: The Threat is Real!, age 17:

My second fav metal album.

9. Focused- The Hope that Lies Within, age 18:

What?! Good Christian metal! No way!

10. Living Sacrifice- The Hammering Process, age 18:

The name-sake of this blog. This album has had more spiritual impact on me than anything else except the bible. So all you "no christian metal" advocates can shut your dirty mouthes.

11. Norma Jean- Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child, age 18:

I also bought this on the day it came out. Again, naysayers silenced!

12. Zao- Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest, age 18:

This album owns! Like, you need to own it. Right now.

13. Tourniquet- Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm, age 19:

If you do not agree that this is the best thrash album ever, I will fight you. And that is no lie.

14. Project 86- Songs to Burn Your Bridges By, age 20:

Helped me through a really hard time with a former church.

15. Further Seems Forever, How to Start a Fire, age 20:

The beginning of my "more than metal" conversion.

16. Pedro the Lion- Control, age 20:

Literally redefined what music means to me

17. mewithoutYou- Catch for Us the Foxes, age 21:

Best album of all time. No joke.

18. Suffering & the Hideous Thieves- Rats in Heaven, age 21:

Are Christians allowed to express these kinds of feelings? Kind of like Control, but more maniacal.

19. Sunny Day Real Estate- How it Feels to be Something On, age 21:

Where was I in 1998?! Oh yeah, listening to Korn (shudder).

20. Derek Webb, She Must and Shall Go Free, age 22:

Just when I had all but given up on CCM, Todd comes along and introduces me to this record. Very convicting stuff.

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd said...

Haha, I was scrolling through and reading, and waiting, and hoping that Derek might appear on the list. Its funny how the music we listen to tends to define a lot of the way we think and act... Kinda scary in some senses, with our up coming generations being thrown up all over by the music industry (and I don't mean strictly secular stuff either...)

Your post was definitely helpful, and perhaps more essential in the 'peeling' process than you may realize.

Catcha Monday at 7, ugg...

5:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Monday at 7 for the win.

Nice albums.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home