5/14/2006

Black like Sunday

The dog is on the loose...

I worked last night 11-7, and between 6-7 there was only two (2) of us working. TWO! Have you ever been to a Tim Horton's at 6:00am. It was hell. Well, probably not nearly as bad as hell would be, but still pretty bad.

Today is church... which reminds me, I have to buy a pack of Smarties for the kid's story...

I've been listening to a band called King's X a lot lately... if you haven't heard of them picture Metallica jamming with Dream Theater with the Beatles singing. Pretty rad. Lyrically they are interesting too... their early albums reflected a Christian worldview in a positive non-judgmental manner, but after their Lead singer Doug Pinnick revealed that he was a homosexual (and after the other two went through messy divorces, one of which involved the wife trying to assassinate him) the band began to write songs that showed lots of doubt and questioning.

It's a pretty unique story which yields some excellent music, though I am sad that Doug no longer claims to have any faith in Christ... also some of the lyrics on the band's more recent albums are very depressing to me as a Christian, in comparison to the older lyrics. However, Doug's doubts and questions are the doubts and questions that every Christian must face during evangelism, so I would suggest to any Christian to read his lyrics, ponder them, and then offer answers. This will help you grow. It should also be noted that Doug Pinnick is a close friend of Doug Van Pelt, editor of HM Magazine.

Anyway, you should all buy the album Faith Hope Love by King's X... available cheaply online or at any used cd store, it's one of the most truly edifying albums I own, one of my favourites. 100% better than any of that "Modern Worship" garbage that all sounds the same and makes the same shallow proclamations of devotion.

Here's hoping that you all have a powerful and challenging experience of worship today (and everyday).

I've been in tears
I've been the clown
I've had my doubts
what if I'm wrong
I've been in love
then maybe not
I crossed my heart
and then forgot

Everywhere I go I see you there

I read the story
that you died
I turned the page
and you were alive
with hope and love
but mostly faith
one day I'll see you
face to face

Everywhere I go I see you there

("Everywhere I Go" by King's X)

1 Comments:

Blogger Butterfly Girl said...

Wow, that song is amazing. Thanks
Ash

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home