1/25/2007

Spiritual Gifts

I love 'em, hopefully you do too. Some of you are probably sick of hearing me discuss this, but I had a conversation with Luke Dent tonight in which God revealed something to me while I was speaking.

Let me begin by saying that I believe in all the Spiritual gifts for today, in all places and all throughout the entire church age. I believe in apostleship, prophecy, miracles, healing, tongues, interpretation, knowledge, wisdom, pastor, teacher, evangelist, exhortation, discernment, mercy, giving, faith, service, and administration. All 18 Spiritual gifts at all times in church history. (See 1 Corinthians 12:4-11; Romans 12:6-8; 1 Peter 4:10-11)

There is more controversy surrounding Spiritual gifts in North America than anywhere else. Many of us are quick to accept the healing of a blind man in Mexico, but just as quickly argue that this type of thing doesn't happen here. Why?

I think there are two reasons for this:
  1. We are proud rich North Americans who don't have faith in God to perform miracles
  2. Our teaching on Spiritual gifts is biased and skewed because of this.
Let's look at number one. Though we hate to admit it usually, we are quite rich compared to other places in the world. In our first world country we are blessed with food, shelter, money, medicine, and lots of distracting entertainment. We are self-sufficient, self-reliant, and proud. Frankly, we don't know how to have faith in God. Our faith is a self-centered faith that focuses on our prosperity, our emotions, our desire for power. We focus on God's love but not his sovereignty. This is epidemic in North American churches. Our lukewarm apathy has led to different movements / denominations that have tried to remedy our problems. The two movements from which we receive the most divergent views of the Spiritual gifts were created to combat pride and apathy around similar times, but they each focused on different aspects of God leading to different doctrines.

These movements are fundamentalism, which primarily focuses on the sovereignty of God and going back to the "fundamentals" of the faith, and charasmaticism, which focuses on the lost passions for godliness and the miraculous. These movements are really brothers, but quickly grew to disagree and cause division.

The different views on Spiritual gifts are partially caused by different interpretations of scripture and are partially reactionary.

1 Corinthians says, "8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known." (NASB)

Fundamentalists teach that the "perfect" is the completed word of God including the whole New Testament, and therefore the gifts have ceased, and charismatics teach that the "perfect" is the second coming of Christ, and therefore the gifts continue. I personally believe the latter view because although the word of God is perfect, it does not make imperfections in our knowledge of God disappear, and certainly we do not see face to face. This is all I will say about this issue because I would like to spend more time on the reactionary issue which I consider more prominent.

Fundamentalists have seen charismatics as crazy; the "charismatic chaos," and charismatics look at fundamentalists as legalistic (I have been on both sides of the issue). Both stereotypes are justified because they are often true because we are self centered. Our North American "me" focus comes out like this:

For charismatics the Spiritual gifts become a status symbol of spirituality. The one who displays tongues, prophecy or miracles openly is clearly a very successful and spiritual Christian. There is nothing wrong with using the Spiritual gifts (we are called to desire them), however displaying these obvious gifts can lead to a sense of proud accomplishment. The focus of the gift of healing ceases to be on God's power to heal and moves to the one using the gift. A sense of expectancy is born. A view of so-and-so as a great healer instead of focusing on God. This is the reason for so many scandals involving false healing and prophecy. Certain people get reputations and begin to maintain the status quo, becoming greedy and not wanting to lose their status, leading to false prophecies and healing. The moment the focus is on man the Spirit leaves.

Fundamentalists however, seeking humility and a reverence for God forsake the Spiritual gifts all together. Instead they value theological knowledge and bible teaching to the detriment of anything experiential. People who seek the Spiritual gifts are frowned upon. The word of God crosses the fine line and becomes an idol.

These are clear stereotypes and not everyone is like this, but they do hold truth. I would like to see the reconciliation of these feuding brothers. I would like to see solid biblical teaching lifted up alongside the Spiritual gifts. I would like to see all glory given to Christ and humility in the church. Let's forgive our differences and seek to mend our damage done. Let's learn from each other. Let's lift up all the Spiritual gifts and not idolize the more exciting ones. Let's not ban Spiritual gifts based on the sins and abuses of certain people.

God bless you, may you seek his will. I will leave you these words from Ephesians chapter 1:

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. (emphasis mine)

9 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

For the most part I agree, but I'd add a third to your list:

3. Many of our North American "miracles" are present in our technology and medicine (in the case of healing) to which the majority of the rest of the world HAS NO ACCESS.

It's not necessarily, I believe, completely *our fault* that we see less miracles than other nations - I could be way off on this, but I believe that God glorifies himself through human creativity and ingenuity at times. Why would he do this? Well, as you've pointed out, here in NA, we tend to idolize miracle workers (just look at Benny Hinn and nutjobs like him) and completely miss the point of miracles. God's program is to glorify Himself, and so I think, in some cases, He chooses to work through surgeons and drugs and such. Is it any less miraculous? That depends on how you like to "limit" the Lord - if you think He can only work through the "miraculous" and other-wordly and supernatural, you're sorely mistaken (I know you don't think this, but I'm making a point).

Why would God wash us over with miraculous healings when we, with our 99th percentile of medical knowledge can get off our proverbial asses and do the following:

1. Get exersize.
2. Eat well.
3. Sleep well.
4. Don't have health affecting vices.
5. See your doctor.
etc.

We KNOW we ought to do these things preventatively... in fact doing them would result in us becoming the healthiest nations in the world.

I'm not saying we should negate or ignore God's power to perform things we can't even imagine, but I look at most people in North America and they won't even do these basic things for their own health. Most sickness here is, unapologetically, SELF MADE. It's a function of our being "proud, rich, self-sufficient, self-reliant"...

...so when we see God doing crazy miracles elsewhere in the world, how about we stop creating ailments for ourselves here, and maybe then Him healing someone might actually mean something to us.

NOW, all of this is not to negate the power of the Lord - He can and will do as He pleases to glorify Himself. I just see reasons why some gifts are more prevalent in some places than others. I believe all the gifts exist today and always WHERE GOD IS USING THEM (ie. not necessarily worldwide), and in the form THROUGH WHICH THEY BRING HIM MOST GLORY (in consistency with His will); Expecting to see healings here is not a function of us having faith so much as it's a function of God at work - and He doesn't work willy-nilly, He works purposefully in the ways through which He will be brought most glory.

But, by conclusion:

Great post. Hits the core of the matter and seeks balance between the extremes. :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Stevie B said...

I'm shocked to see a post like this on your blog, considering it contradicts statements you've made in my blog comments section whenever I've written on this subject, and healing in particular in the past. :P. In fact, you've "corrected me" for saying these very things. But I had confidence you'd come around.

However, with Jerry's comment the idea that miracles come in the in the form of medical research and so on: I wouldn't argue with that, but frankly, nobody has "faith" in a bottle of tylenol for their headache to go away if they take a pill. God may grant people the breakthrough and insight to come up with cures for things, no doubt in my mind at all, but definitely there's a difference between experiencing/relying on this realm vs. putting faith in God and/or seeing a gift used that results in healing. I definitely disagree that expecting God to work in a miraculous way is "limiting" him to "not" use the other means.

But nothing major worth taking too much time to fuss over. I just think it that kind of view/attitude leans more toward the confidence of "not needing" healings or gifts like Noah was making mention of in his points, than not.

Good post.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

I guess I'm just saying that healing isn't as "miraculous" here in the West... but yeah, no biggie.

I'm just, as always, wary of people who try to use God as some kind of cosmic fix-all or magic wand. It disrespects who He is, what He does, and the very gifts they claim to use.

But we've all three of us had these discussions. So I'll leave it be.

The conclusion remains: Good post, good summary, good thoughts. What are you going to study now?

10:48 PM  
Blogger shine.is.dead said...

It's been a long time coming I guess.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Hey Noah.

Good thoughts here. I would appreciate some of your thoughts on how Apostleship works today. More than any of the other areas of gifting God has given this makes me pause in thought concerning its outworking.

In any case, press on brother.

T

5:36 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

My question and challenge remains: What is going to be your new focus of indepth study? :)

4:33 PM  
Blogger shine.is.dead said...

Todd: I understand your concern, the 13 Apostles had a specific one time job of starting the church. I see the spiritual gift of apostle a call to missions, notably on that involves church planting or laying gospel foundation in a country that does not have it... missionary is a safer word because it cannot be confused.

Jerry: I'm gonna stick with this til I'm done my bible study, then I'll move on to Ecclesiology... or perhaps the study of Christian marriage ; )

11:59 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Or you could join Todd, Paul, and I, and do both.

Not that we do it together, per se.

But strangely those seem to be our common threads of study lately.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow Noah, i really appreciate this side of you, good post. But of course i do have a couple problems with it. well not so much with it, but with the way some of the gifts are viewed. First off, about the fundamentalists and gifts, they don't refuse ALL gifts just the miraculous, now i've grown up always believing this (blindly i'd go as far as to admit) but i've come to agree taht yes they can happen today. But some things like healing and prophecy bug me they way people look at them today. I honestly think that someone with the gift of healing should be able to heal physical things such as muscular dystrophy, or missing fingers or even death, i honestly think that for someone to have that gift they should be able to show it through types of healings which have NO WAY of being a facade. And prophecy, well when we look at it biblically, we see the prophecies as depicting exact events with descriptions of some things that will happen at that point in time. they don't leave the opportunity for the misinterpretation of that prophecy, and if they are wrong, well hand me a stone....... it's just that a lot of 'prophets' today say very vague prophecies which can come out any number of ways or in a number of different strengths, for example, ":i have a message from God for you that you will do great things for the Lord!" I'm sorry but there are many ways to interpret GREAT and also it's so far in the future that it can't be seen till the prophet can 'disappear' or the person to whom the prophecy is directed forgets. Also, from what i can see about prophecy, many times, these prophets also gave prophecies which would happen in their lifetime, by which they can be proven. Now I no longer deny the gifts but honestly I would like to see them used the same way they are used in the Bible, now i'm just throwing this off my cuff, so, go easy please, but I am open to correction. Anyways I've said my piece and would love your input Noah.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home