12/05/2004

And (you think) safety abounds.

Listening to: Pedro the Lion- Criticism as Inspiration

Then there's your girlfriend.
She opens her legs and
Gives your life meaning,
Is that what you lover her for?
(Pedro the Lion, from "Criticism as Inspiration")

I witnessed something rather disturbing at the Bridge last night. Mostly everything was solid...crazy solid. We stopped 4 fights before they started and enforced our "No getting fresh" (no making out) rule without much trouble.

However, I saw this "couple" on the couch. They weren't making out by any means, but the guy had his arm around the girl and was rubbing her hip area. I could handle that, he wasn't sucking her face off. But then she got up to leave, and he said "So, do you have a number" and she wrote her phone number and her name on his hand and left. Her phone number and her name!

Like, these two kids have never met each other before and he's freaking rubbing her hip and I was so disgusted. The worst part is, she asked me for a pen. As I handed it to her I couldn't help but think that I had just contributed to her downfall. Like, honestly I felt sick to my stomach.

It saddens me so much to see these kids treating their bodies like currency, giving parts of themselves away to anyone who smiles at them the right way. And, I used to be just like that. I've been single for almost four years now, but in my last relationship, before Christ became my saviour, all I really cared about was what made me feel good at the moment. I had no conception of things such as commitment, love, mutual building up, or even just being a friend to the person I was with, and it scares me half to death to know that I'm only three years away from these kids, sitting on a couch...giving themselves away cause they have nothing else to live for. Even worse, though I know how I'm supposed to do things, I still don't really know how to do that.

Listen, if you have stumbled across this:
You are not an object
Your body is not money
Your body can't be paid for with money
You are loved
You are valuable
Jesus Christ died so that you can live.

I know I sound like a cheesy preacher right now, but listen...

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 1 John 3:16 (NIV)

And now for the general updationating: Tomorrow is my second last day at St. Paul's for my con-ed. I'm also going out for coffee / maybe dinner with Shannon tomorrow night. This should be awesome fun.

Talk to you all later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wouldn't you love to be on the cover of a magazine

dinner eh... i dunno man, doesn't sound like a "date" to me - sounds like a date.

ruh roh.

1:43 PM  
Blogger CJH said...

solid post man. it sickens (pun? no...) me to see what little respect kids have these days for themselves.

you are bang on.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey noah, i know you! I am totally not giving away my identity, but if you would kindly give your email somewhere around your blog spot... that would be wonderful! I loved this post you created. At first i muttered a few curses (ive screwed up in these areas myself) and because of my past/present with sexual stuff... i was just like "whatever *curse curse*" but it's true... your post had truth spoken to me. I feel so crappy ... it's funny i read this post just after engaging in something i shouldn't have earlier. I feel so disgusted with myself. you should really give me your email hookups!

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noah, i think somewhat you could be overreacting. like... it's not like they were making out.
and if something was that wrong why didn't you do something about it?
I DUNNO MAN... worse stuff happens on city buses and such. i don't think that was something to sweat.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home