7/21/2004

Prove me wrong, please.

Listening to: Maggie Fame- Angels of Ordinary Men A local (Peterborough) band that released two eps before having a few line-up changes and changing their name to Money, Money. This is the better of the two eps, and is ridiculously out of print.
 
Okay. Time for a bible study:
 
1My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. 2Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. 3If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," 4have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7Are they not the ones who are slandering the noble name of him to whom you belong? 8If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. 9But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11For he who said, "Do not commit adultery,"also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. 12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment! (James 2:1-13, NIV)
 
Okay. Here's the deal. This chapter is so convicting to me because, when I go to church, I see a bunch of men wearing suits and ties, and women with nice jewellery. I see certain people being lifted up as more "spiritual" than others. And I don't question their intentions, but everyone at my church is middle or upper class. Read the passage, it's so true. The church lifts up those that are rich, simply by the clothes we wear (and some legalistic churches go as far as to have an enforced dress code, ridiculous!)
 
I don't know if you go to church, but I haven't seen a homeless person at church recently. They would never come, they would feel unwelcome, by those that should welcome them the most, and in the name of Christ. And then, as I read Christian publications, I see an ad for a Christian "leadership conference," and one of the speakers is the successful CEO of Wal-Mart! What? Is he a Christian? And if so, why does he allow his company to use sweatshops for labour? Is this the goal for a "successful" Christian in North America, to be rich and powerful at the expense of others?
 
I don't mean to sound "holier than thou" here, I make plently of mistakes and am comparitively rich to many, but I think many North American Christians may be forgetting the reason we're here: to serve, to preach the gospel, to go to where others are, as opposed to expecting them to come to us. That is our calling.
 
Now lets all go do that.
My resolution is to carry $20 of my tithe in my pocket at all times, so when I see a homeless person I can buy them a meal. Hold me to it.
 
PS: I tend to be pessimistic about eveything, so forgive me if I've been a bit heavy handed in this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

god convicted me to do the same thing (help homeless to get to church) and buy them food. DONT give them the money, take them. I know it's judgemental to say they will buy booze, but you never really know. Go ahead Noah. Buy them a meal. I ministered to a guy named Ray, - he's homeless. I invited him to Selwyn. Rick was going to pick us up. Have you seen the people at selwyn? Upperclass dressing etc. I have never seen jeans in there. <-- be careful eh? This is me judgeing selwyn now. :<
The point is, i asked Ray to church, and he wouldn't go. Why? Because reality: he was afraid of judgement. He stunk, his clothes weren't "churchy", and regardless of scripture, christians would gawk, and judge him.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Stevie B said...

Hey Noah

It's funny, but living as a missionary abroad, it's amazing how so many people in Canada treat me like they want a detailed account of what I spend my money on here and that if I eat out once I'm splurging and wasting God's money. It doesn't happen with %100 of people, but I'm learning something about the church, money, giving, etc... from being in a situation where it's how I function (being the one given the support)and I take frugal living to new extremes. If I lived by the budget that some of the people judging me lived by, I would have to have gone back home after the first month I spent here.

Anyway, I'm not judging anyone in particular, just some attitudes prevalent in the western church in general. I could actually give you more horrendous stories but this is a public comment.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home