12/22/2004

Six is our number

Listening to: Sixteen Horsepower- Flutter

So, it's rare that I buy an album without ever hearing the artist it's by ever before. Today I bought Sixteen Horsepower's "Folklore" record. Pretty much every review I have seen of this album has given it top marks (Doug Van Pelt and Jason Dodd of HM Magazine gave it 4.5 and 5 out of 5 respectively).

So this is a weird album. They classify themselves as "Goth-Country." The album consists of 4 originals, 4 traditional hymns, and two classic country covers (Hank Williams Sr. and the Carter Family). Even though over half the album is old songs, it sounds like the band wrote them themselves. It's very cohesive.

I'm not a country fan, but this album is actually quite enjoyable. It's very dark and dirge-like throughout. The standouts are "Horse Head Fiddle" with its droning crescendos and decrescendos, "Sinnerman," which is scary the same way Keith Green's "O God Our Lord" is scary, and the 4 originals, that make me want to buy 16HP's other records. This is recommended highly.

So, anyway, now that the album review is over...

I'm working 3-7:30 today, and 6-10 on Friday. Thursday is lunch with Chris and Saturday is Christmas. Crazy. I'm looking forward to the next few days. Rocks on. Or maybe, countrys on....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home