3/03/2005

Canadian Politics = Utter Crappiness

Listening to: Twothirtyeight- The Sticks Are Woven in the Spokes Oh yeah, for the record, it's NOT 238. "238" is an arabic numeral that is read "Two-hundred thirty-eight." It's written, and pronounced "Twothirtyeight."

Okay, So I'm a Christian. That means that I am inherently screwed politically. The reason is the binary nature of Biblical Christian Politics.

Here's how:

Ethically
I am a conservative. This means pro-life, anti-homosexual marriage, anti-euthanasia, and I'm a young Earth Biblical creationist. These positions are based upon my faith in God, and the view that not only is God sovereign, but that all life is valuable and sacred.

Economically I am a liberal. That means I support public heathcare, the welfare state, lowered tuition fees, affordable housing, living wage as minimum wage, and free shelters for the homeless. (And ideally no homelessness.) These views are also consistently Biblical, as Christ healed the sick, and fed the hungry. Also, the early church took care of the "alien, fatherless and the widow." Not to mention the second greatest commandment being "love your neighbour as yourself."

So, where does this leave me? Well, unfortunately there is not a single viable party to vote for that is ethically conservative and economically liberal. It seems that an ethical view of human life goes hand in hand with ecomomic exploitation; and social support goes hand in hand with the devaluing of human life. Is it just me or does this make no freaking sense at all?!

Therefore, whenever I vote, I am either pissing on my ethics or my ecomomic security (No to mention my children's.) Now comes the question:

Do I hand my children an immoral state in which they have material security, or a moral society that screws them economically?

And that begs the question: Can a society be moral if it is completely focused on material profit to the exclusion of all else? And can a society be socially conscious if it devalues humanity at the most base levels?

This is my dilemma. I have no solution.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

my friend, you have just captured the reason why I have been forced to vote for fringe parties in federal elections past... well the one I could vote in so far anyway.

yay for small parties that will never get voted in, but actually deserve my vote for having a platform I can fully support: ethically conservative and economically liberal.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

on second thought, that was the provincial election.


you're screwed :(

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home