3/09/2005

"F" Word

Listening to: Anberlin- Never Take Friendship Personal

WARNING: The following blog contains language that may not be appropriate for all readers. Reader discretion is advised.

So, tonight at TCF I said a naughty word. I'm not exactly sure if it was appropriate or not, but I shall tell the story:

We were discussing how one can draw nearer to the Lord, and the thing that came to my mind (right after reading the Bible and praying) was: honesty. I wanted to tell the group how I realized that was important, so I related a personal story, but did so in general second person so that anyone could relate. This is it motly word for word:

"I think honesty is really important. I mean, if you're thinking 'Gee, today f*cking sucks,' and yes... I know I just said the "F" word, but I said it for a reason. If that's what you're thinking, but when you pray you say, "God I don't really like today." Well, you're lying to God. HE can see everything in your heart anyway, he knows everything, he's omnicient. So, you sould tell him exactly what you're thinking, cause that's what he wants to hear."

I don't know how everyone took it. I think some people agreed. Some people rebuked me and implied that saying f*ck was a sin. Some people were most likely confused. And I think some people were so concerned that I just publically said a swear word in a Christian environment, to the entire 70-person group, that they completely missed everything I said after that word.

There probably was a better way to say it.

I can't help but think about what I read in my devotion this morning:

I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble. The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. (Romans 14:14-23, ESV)

Now, I know this passage isn't speaking about language. It's talking about how some believers who were weak in faith could not eat the food that was sacrificed to idols without connecting it to their previous sinful life. Other believers who were stronger, realized that idols didn't actually exist and that all food is good so why not eat it? The verse in bold is the one I'm thinking about. The point of it is, "Don't make a weak believer stumble because of what you know is okay." Now, I don't think saying f*ck is neccessarily good or bad. It is a word. Words tend to be amoral, it's all in how we use them. I can say "Oh my God," and depending on my attitude I could be addressing God in prayer or taking the Lord's name in vain.

The same goes for the word "f*ck." Speaking etymologically, the word is a vulgar way to say "sexual intercourse." Now, in modern days, it can also be used as an exclamation or intensifier (as my example in my little quip tonight illustrates.) Clearly the word has some appropriate uses. For example I could say "A prostitute f*cks people for a living." Since the word is a vulger way to say "sex," and a prostitute engages in vulgar ungodly sex, yeah, that's a good use of the word.

Other uses tend to be less appropriate. Clearly, saying "F*ck you!" to someone is sinful, but the reason is the attitude. I could say "You're stupid" and it would be just as sinful.

Which brings me back to my example. My example probably would be a sinful way to say the word. Saying "Today f*cking sucks." betrays an attitude of negativity and a lack of appreciation for the day that "the Lord has made." But that was my point. If that sinful attiude is in my heart, bt I'm not exposing that to the Lord, I'm not going to be able to draw close to him. This happened to be. I said. "God, this f*cking sucks. My life is bullsh*t, everything is such bullsh*t." Then I proceeded to repent for my, well, sh*tty attitude. Being honest with God is the first step to repentance and drawing near to him.

But I shouldn't have said that word at TCF. Sorry to those I offended. (If you actually will read this at all.)

Anyway, I'm out.

(Side note: It's interesting that when I sat down to write this I was unsure if it was right or wrong to say the word at TCF, then through thr wrting, I realized I shouldn't have.)


1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

I could have told you that, but you knew I would have anyway.

I know just what you mean though... I've been tempted a few times to drop expletives in my ever so christian environment just because it'll shake people out of their minds for awhile.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home